Monday

Basil and Corn Tart Recipe

Basil is still happily growing in the windowsill and there's still corn in the freezer from summer.  I thought I'd share this veggie recipe with you today. This recipe makes a nice addition to a brunch menu or serve for a light lunch.

What You Need
1/3 cup butter, softened
 2 Tbsp  Sugar
 1/2 tsp Salt
 3 Eggs
 2/3 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
 2/3 Cup All-purpose flour
 1 Cup half-and-half (or light cream)
 1-1/2 Cups Corn kernels (fresh or thawed if using frozen)
 1/2 Cup coarsely chopped fresh basil (plus a few small leaves for garnish, optional)
 1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Electric Mixer
9 inch Tart Pan (or round cake pan )
Aluminum Foil
Plastic Wrap
Tomato ( chopped for garnish, optional)

Before You Start: This recipe requires refrigeration of the crust prior to completion. Make the crust (see below) preheat oven to 350® after removing crust from the refrigerator.

 Lets Make It! In medium bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed to blend (about 30 seconds). Add sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Beat until combined. Beat in 1 egg until combined. Add in cornmeal and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour. Form dough into a Frisbee looking disc and wrap in plastic. Chill for about an hour (until it’s easy to handle).
After dough has cooled, press and pat dough evenly into bottom and sides of tart pan. Cover pastry with double thickness of foil and bake 10 minutes; remove foil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes more.
In medium bowl whisk together 2 eggs and half-and-half. Stir in corn, basil, 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper. Pour into corn crust. Bake 35 to 40 minutes (or until set, no jiggling). Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato and additional basil. To garnish before serving
Serves 6-8


12 comments:

Sherri said...

Katherine, I just saved your recipe! It sounds wonderful!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Unknown said...

You are coming up with some super good ones. Thanks a lot.
Odie

Rebecca said...

Sounds really yummy.

Karen said...

thanks for sharing...looks yummy and pretty easy to do.

Jennifer Richardson said...

mmmmmmm.....I started summerdreaming
while reading this and am wallowing in the warmth it brings:)
Thanks for taking me there!
-Jennifer

PoetessWug said...

Looks good, but I'd have to add some meat to it somewhere...I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl. ^_^

Rose said...

great recipe thanks sounds good. take care rose

Unknown said...

This is making my mouth water! I'm a new follower from Magical Mondays. I think I need to head to the grocery store and try this one out.


www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

Sue said...

Katie, this looks and sounds delicious, and easy for me, thanks for sharing.
Sue

Donna said...

Katherine...this looks so good that I can almost SMELL it!! I am having a brunch Thursday...thanks for this recipe...it'll be perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

YUM!!! I am so there on this one.

Liz said...

Ok, I am making this! Yum!